Tuesday, March 22, 2016

40k Age of Sigmar "Monsters"

I have not yet tackled making warscrolls for "Monsters" (big centerpiece models with damage tables) in Age of Sigmar, but I want to take a crack at it.  The balance is a little different from other units since the attacks (and other stats) can change as the model is weakened.  It might have seemed prudent for me to start with Tyranids, maybe the Tervigon or something, but I decided instead to start with the quintessential centerpiece, the Land Raider.

I began by calculating the damage output of an Empire Steam Tank.  An Empire Steam Tank's damage output looks like this:

0-2 Wounds Suffered
0.32 damage/turn/wound

3-4 Wounds Suffered
0.3 damage/turn/wound

5-7 Wounds Suffered
0.29 damage/turn/wound

8-9 Wounds Suffered
0.27 damage/turn/wound

10+ Wound Suffered
0.25 damage/turn/wound

Since the Steam Tank has a 3+ save and 12 wounds, I figure it's a pretty good guide for the Land Raider.  As a more streamlined 40k model, the Land Raider has a lot less going on than a Steam Tank.  I began with the baseline of the Predator where it has a primary Turret Weapon that deals D6 damage, and a secondary Heavy Weapon that represents both sponsons.  The Land Raider's weapons are all twin linked which beefs up the damage a smidge, and since it has 12 wounds, I had to up the number of attacks from each weapon to hit an appropriate d/t/w value.



At this point, figuring in the Hunter Killed Missile as well, the Land Raider has damage output of:

0-2 Wounds Suffered
0.35 damage/turn/wound

3-4 Wounds Suffered
0.33 damage/turn/wound

5-7 Wounds Suffered
0.3 damage/turn/wound

8-9 Wounds Suffered
0.28 damage/turn/wound

10+ Wound Suffered
0.25 damage/turn/wound

This leaves it just a little more killy than the Steam Tank, however, as I mentioned before, it has a lot less going on.  I am continuing to use the warscroll size as a guide for complexity even though GW clearly isn't tied to that design rule.  I did cheat a little bit however in that I referenced the "tactical weapons" options without listing them.  It's a space saver and I don't think anybody is likely to be too broken up about it since they appear on most of the other Space Marines scrolls.  While I'm at it, let me show off the Chaos Land Raider as well.  It's a little more killy, but only if it gets stuck in.  Basically aside from re-wording things as necessary, I switched out the missile for gross chaos tank tentacle attacks.


These will of course go into their respective Warscroll Compendiums next time I update those.  In the meantime, enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. loving the whole idea of Age of Emporer... keep going with these warscrolls :)

    ReplyDelete