Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Lava Monsters of Khorne

I've finished two more models for my Bloodbound "army"*.  I picked up a starter set a few months ago so that I could get the Bloodsecrator and Bloodstoker for my Gorechosen battalion, so I've been slowly working my way through the other contents (along with other projects).  Today I want to show off/discuss my two lava monsters.


Since I've been doing all of this lava basing, I thought it might be cool to do my more daemonic models as if they had sprung from the lava.  I did some research to see if anyone else had been doing this, and it looks like there are a handful of lava-scheme Khornate armies out there.  I took my cues from them when painting my Khorgorath and Mighty Lord of Khorne (well, the Flesh Hound at least).



I went with lava monster for these guys because I like "effects" painting when an idea strikes me.  Two ideas struck me for my daemonic Khornate stuff, one was the lava you see here, and the other was to paint them as if they were covered in blood.  Since I play Death (largely Flesh-Eater Courts), and Nurgle, I get plenty of painting gruesome viscera.  So I wanted to try something new.



Overall, I'm not sure how I feel about the lava effect.  I might go back and put some more black on the Flesh Hound, especially on the neck frill.  If you have any thoughts on how I can make this effect look better, I'd love to hear them.  In the meantime, I have no plans to expand into Khorne Daemons.  I'll probably just finish painting my Blood Warriors, and maybe get a Bloodthirster for those rare occasions on which I manage to grind up 8 Blood Tithe points.

No comments:

Post a Comment