Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Review: Blades of Khorne

Because I bought Gorechosen and wanted to get the full Khornate experience out of my tiny Bloodbound army (also love excuses to buy books), I picked up a copy of the Blades of Khorne last weekend.  So far, I like it, but I'm not as impressed as I was by the Flesh-Eater Courts Battletome.


The Fluff 3/5
It might be that I've been reading Chaos fluff for nearly 20 years, but the fluff I've read so far has been pretty boilerplate stuff for Khorne.  It's good, but it hasn't really been telling a story or anything (that I've noticed).  The one thing that has jumped out at me about the new fluff is that Khorne himself is pretty involved, there are stories where he does stuff, gets stabbed by Skarbrand, and so on (although his favorite thing to do is sit on a giant throne in the Realm of Chaos).

The Art 3/5
I gave this 3 stars because it meets but does not exceed expectations.  It has pretty standard artwork throughout the book, lots of photography.  There was one page that really stood out to me.  The Artefacts of Slaughter spread is very pretty and looks like something out of a WHFB book.  The one thing that was very disappointing about the art in this book is that there is no map.  I really love fantasy maps, and I've been loving the maps that seem to pop up in nearly every battletome; so the lack of map in this book made me sad :(.

The Battle Traits and Stuff 4/5
This is where this book really starts to shine.  It is chock full of Artefacts tables, Command Traits, Blood Prayers, and so forth.  I think that those, along with the Path to Glory tables are really great tools for Narrative and Campaign play, so I really love seeing those in the newer Battletomes.  The Khorne Battle Trait is pretty fun, although it doesn't scale very well.  I've only played one battle with it, and I mostly used my Blood Tithe points for dispelling.

The Battleplans 4/5
The Blades of Khorne contains two Battleplans.

- Gathering Bloodstorm
This one says its for Khorne Daemons, but it could really be any Khorne.  It's basically weighted Kill Points, and has special Command Abilities.  I'll definitely be playing it.

- Skulls for the Skull Throne
I think that the second has a lot of potential replay value.  Each army needs to include at minimum 3 Heroes (although, the more the merrier).  One hero's skull on each side is deemed worthy of being included in the Skull Throne.  Basically, it's all about killing your opponent's heroes, but with a random "tactical objectives" style twist.  I've played this once so far and it was a total squash match, but I look forward to playing it again (with any army!).

The Battalions 4/5
This book is chock full of Battalions.  It has 9 Daemon Battalions, 2 Daemon Mega-Battalions, 10 Bloodbound Battalions, and 2 Bloodbound Mega-Battalions.  Though most of these are geared toward matched play and larger battles, there are some really fun looking ones in here as well.  I'm especially excited about the "Gorechosen" Battalion that consists of 8 Bloodbound Heroes.

The Warscrolls 4/5
Not a whole lot of surprises here, but I will note that they added the "Bloodbound" keyword to all of the Khorne specific Mortal units.  So I imagine we'll see other armies get similar treatment as they come down the pipe.  I know that having a picture with every warscroll would pretty much double the number of pages they take up, but I miss them.  I really feel like when I'm looking at the book, it's nice to see what every model actually looks like.

Overall 3.7/5

No comments:

Post a Comment