Monday, May 29, 2017

Big Trouble in Little Azyrheim

Yesterday, I ran a Hinterlands event.  It was set in the Free City of Reaper, which is a mercenary city in the Vale of Efengie.  As you can see on the map below, all types dwell there.  The story for this event was that one of the members of the Reaper King's council was assassinated, and by tradition, whoever could find his Letter of Marque and present it to the Reaper King would take his place on the council.


To prepare for the event, I chose three of the Hinterlands battleplans and compacted them all onto one page.  On the flip-side of the page, I made a digest form of the warband creation and advancement rules.

   

We had a good time, only 4 people showed up (presumable because it was Memorial Day weekend), so we got to play a "round robin" event.  Our contenders were Stormcast Eternals led by Lord-Celestant Magnus, Fyreslayers led by the Runeson Charlie, Kharadrons led by Fleet Admiral Skragnir the Recalcitrant, and Undead led by Ser Merryk von Hortlak.

   

I did a poor job of photographing this event.  I meant to get a picture of each warband, but I started after the event ended, so some people had already packed up their stuff and I didn't want to ask them to get it out again.

   

The barely photographed force of Kharadrons ended up winning the event, so Fleet Admiral Skragnir now has a seat on the council.  We determined the victor by totaling the value of each player's warband, and adding their unspent gold.  Humorously, this ended up being a tie between Merryk and Skragnir, so we had to go to tie-breakers.  I decided that we should use XP earned as the tie-breaker since it was a narrative event.


Each player who participated got a Triumph card for use at future events.  This is a thing I'm going to be doing from now on to help tie together the narrative events and have fun.  Probably at some point in the not-so-distant future, I'll also adapt the Big Trouble in Little Azyrheim storyline into a Warhammer Skirmish campaign, so look for that in the future!


2 comments:

  1. Where did you get the picture you used for Reaper? Because I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made it myself using Inkarnate. It's a pretty awesome online map-making tool (https://inkarnate.com/).

      Delete