Saturday, June 3, 2017

Efengie Campaigns

I got the Warhammer Skirmish book last weekend (just like everybody else).  Something about their Shadespire Campaign section ripped a band-aid off a part of my brain.  I've always thought of campaigns as something that you mobilize your entire local game store for, with maps and tables and meetings.  The Shadespire Campaign rules have shown me that a campaign can be a simple something for two players.  It can still have tables and army construction rules... or not; and they don't have to be perfectly balanced, they just have to stimulate the imagination for half-a-dozen battles or so.

So now that I've had this epiphany, I felt like it was my moral duty to go back and write a section for each of my two campaign books that turns the battleplans into a series of linked battles.  I decided to appropriate some of the elements of the Path to Glory rules (because that's kinda' what they're there for), but to add some mechanics that haven't been explored in any official releases.  Specifically, I thought a casualties mechanic would be interesting since this is a campaign for large scale battles, and usually that is reserved for more skirmishey engagements.



Then, I set about writing linked battles rules for the battleplans in each book.  These are fundamentally the same as the Shadespire Campaign as they are basically a flow-chart of triumph-esque bonuses you gain for victory at each step of the campaign.


Anyhow, I have added these campaign rules to their respective books available in the AoS Downloads tab.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment