Sunday, May 1, 2016

Age of Warhammer V.2

Creating the Age of Warhammer rules is really what got me into Age of Sigmar after not being impressed with my first handful of battles.  I've mostly transitioned to playing normal AoS (obviously not that normal since I am constantly making my own content), but I still enjoy fielding Rank & File formations in larger battles and consulting the miscast table when that comes up every once in a while.  After having some experience with the Age of Warhammer rules, I wanted to tweak it a little to make the Rank & File troops a little less maneuverable, and I figured while I was there, I would add in a couple mechanics that I passed on the first time around.  My goal with these rules is to create kind of a middle ground where fans of older editions of Warhammer can enjoy some of the old mechanics without stepping too much on the game's normal functionality.



To that end, I've added a second page to the Age of Warhammer rules that includes Challenges, Mysterious Terrain, and Magic Items.  The Mysterious Terrain is obviously a throwback to 8th edition, but it also can be used as an alternative terrain table.  I don't know about others, but I've found the baseline terrain rules to be a bit lackluster as several of them don't effect battles in a meaningful fashion most of the time.  These should be somewhat more consistently relevant to the action of the battle.

The Magic Items rules are written largely to get that element of surprise when your opponent reveals their Dispel Scroll or super killy character or whatever.  You can of course play with more magic items if you want.  I included one magic item for each grand alliance in addition to a selection of classic common magic items.

Age of Warhammer Downloads

Rules - Age of Warhammer
Battleplan - Blood and Glory


2 comments: