Friday, September 16, 2016

Of Exocrines and Haruspexes

Haruspexes? Haruspices?  I'm not sure what the plural should be there.

The Exocrine and Haruspex are next on the list of big bugs.  Honestly, the Exocrine seems pretty boring.  I seriously considered just adding "Bio-plasmic cannon" to the Tyrannofex warscroll and being done with it.  However, since they have such a different look about them, I decided I'd just go for it and make a separate warscroll for the Exocrine.

I did math it to be pretty well in line with the Tyrannofex, but it is a little different because it has one ranged weapon instead of 2, and has a worse armour save.  The Bio-Plasmic cannon is much more of an "artillery" weapon than the Fleshborer Hive or Rupture Cannon, because it has a bonus to firing on units of 10 or more models.  Aside from that, I can't think of anything particularly interesting to say about it.


The Haruspex on the other hand is a wild and crazy experiment.  Sometimes I read the fluff or look at a model and think "I know what it does do, but what should it do?" and instead of attempting to reproduce it in AoS terms, I reinterpret it the way it might have been had it been introduced in Age of Sigmar at the get-go.



Which is how I ended up with the rules for "Grasping Tongue".  My first thought was that the Haruspex should drag units over to itself, but that wouldn't work with multi-model units.  Really, it should only able to drag over things it can't eat in one bite.  So its Grasping Tongue became a kind of bizarre experiment because basically it either eats one whole model.  However, if it's attacking a Hero, Monster, or Vehicle (I may add War Machine to that list too so that it can't eat a whole Steam Tank), it instead damages it and drags it over.  I imagine that the best use of this guy would be to drag an enemy hero or whatnot off into your waiting melee troops.

The Haruspex will probably need some overhauling as people play with it and discover that it's either terrible or broken, but for the moment, it's a grand experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment