Saturday, September 10, 2016

Tyranid Broodkin

Going back and looking at the Tyranid warscrolls made me really want to make Genestealers into their own proper faction.  Fortunately, the models exist for this job!  I changed their keyword from Broodspawn to Broodkin (important stuff), kept the Broodlord and Genestealers mostly the same, and added new warscrolls for the Magus, Acolyte Hybrids, Neophyte Hybrids, and Aberrant Hybrids.



As I mentioned, the Broodlord and Genestealers are pretty much the same.  I changed the keyword, and also changed the name of the Genestealers' ability to "Purestrain Princeling" because I thought it sounded cooler.





The Magus is a very simple unit, but has a very cool psychic power.  Puppet Master can be used to either shoot with one of your units, or with one of your opponent's units during the hero phase.  The Magus also serves as a cheaper Broodkin Hero to trigger the hybrids "Disciples of the Four Armed Emperor" ability.



The Primus got downgraded to a unit champion.  He didn't really seem important enough to warrant a proper warscroll, so I imagine he'd make a good champion for the Neophyte Hybrids since the Acolytes seem to already have a champion looking kinda' guy.  All of the Hybrids are Disciples of the Four Armed Emperor, which gives them a small chance of piling in and attacking during the hero phase.  It's not a lot, but it could really make a big difference if it procs at the right moment.



While Acolyte Hybrids have 2 wounds to keep them in line with Genestealers, Neophyte Hybrids have enough Human in the to only get 1 wound.  Mostly, this is because the models look less bulky, and even look like they're on 25's instead of 32's (although I don't have the models, so I could be wrong about this).



Aberrant Hybrids go the opposite direction and have 3 wounds instead of 2 (similarly, because they appear to be on 40s instead of 32s).  They also dish out a ton of damage with both a Power Tool and Rending Claws.  Now if only I can come up with some kind of Tyranid monster to route into the Broodkin faction it will look like a proper Age of Sigmar army.



3 comments:

  1. Any chance you could post how you make these? I've love to try some of my own Skitarii.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I've been dropping little bits of design process thoughts here and there as I post warscrolls, but I'll try to cook up a post with more detailed information about my specific maths and methods.

      Delete