Sunday, February 17, 2019

The Soulless Sea pt.1

I'm attempting to organize a nautical themed Game Day for May set off the coast of Eucebium in the Soulless Vortex.  I still haven't pinned down all of the rules yet (although I'll share some beta rules in this post), but I have finished making my first batch of ships for the event.


My ships are made from foamcore and dowels, and glued together with hot glue.  They were actually super easy to construct (although I definitely took some shortcuts and made some lazy decisions in the interest of time.


I ended up making one large ship, and two smaller ships.  The large ship can hold a unit of ~20 infantry models, while the small ones can hold a unit of ~10.  The large one was made using the dimensions from this excellent tutorial video one of my players shared with me.  The smaller ones I made using my own pattern based on theirs, but scaled down.

The thing that makes this ship design so simple is that you draw the planking pattern onto foamcore with a ballpoint pen and just score it into the foamcore so that it creates a nice drybrushable wood texture.  It's dramatically easier than other designs that actually involve gluing coffee stirs or popsicle sticks to the surface.  I assume you could probably do the same thing with larger blocks of foam as well.


At the actual event (which does not have a battleplan quite yet) I am going to treat all nautical conversions (floating corpse carts, steam tank boats, sea giants, and so forth) as a basic aquatic version of their normal selves.  Flying units are in the clear since they can just fly over the ocean.  And I feel like Idoneth should just get the special dispensation of being able to swim.  However, anything else that is not converted will need to sail the seas in a homemade Warship of some variety.  Here are my rules for Warships at the moment.  I haven't gotten a lot of feedback on them yet, but I'm sure that will change as the event approaches.


No comments:

Post a Comment