Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Archduke Marrow-Gnawer’s Royal Guard

Another day, another Shadespire warband.  I've actually done all of the season 1 warbands except for Ironskull's Boyz now!  (I haven't bought them yet, but I have plans to convert them into a Nurgle warband)  This time I've transformed the Skaven warband into Flesh-eater Courts.


I was actually inspired by somebody else's Skaven >> Ghouls conversion that I saw one facebook, although I didn't look at it too closely.  I saw it scrolling by and then knew what I must do (Flesh-eater Courts is probably my favorite to play among my various armies).

I knew right off the bat that the Festering Ghoul would need his dagger replaced with one of the bone shard "daggers" that ghould carry.  Upon assessing each of the models, I realized that the Hungering Ghoul (normally armed with a flail and shield) would need a serious overhaul.  I ended up cutting off both arms and the head, and replacing them with the meat-eating head/arm combo.


The model that got the most work was definitely Krrk, the nearly mad.  Normally, Krrk's arms and head are a single piece, and he is holding a fancy halberd.  I didn't want to cut the head away from the arms, and also didn't see how a weapon swap would be particularly sensible after all that hacking, so I did some extensive green-stuff work to replace both arms and the head, and to fill the gaps left by not using the original bitz.  To make sure he was identifiable as the "lieutenant" I strapped a skeleton to his back.  I tend to figure that when Crypt Ghasts has a skeleton on their back the skeleton is actually the one calling the shots.  Perhaps the Crypt Ghast even believes themselves to be a noble steed for a mighty hero!


The last thing worth mentioning is Prince Marrow-Gnawer's big goofy head.  When I was dry-fitting pieces, the Vargheist head looked too big, but also somehow looked just right.  I'm happy I stayed with it because I do like the way it looks but it took me a while to figure out why.  I later realized that it's because fruit bats have big goofy heads, so I think it makes him look kind of bat like.


No comments:

Post a Comment