Wednesday, April 10, 2019

The Soulless Sea pt. 2

I've managed to get in a few test battles with the Soulless Seas rules for naval battles.  I had one with Nurgle vs. Seraphon, and a second that was three players with Nurgle, Seraphon, and Stormcasts.  We've been using hills as warship stand-ins where needed.  This one I've dubbed the "Earthship Ghya".




In our first naval battle, I brought a Path to Glory warband that included a Beast of Nurgle.  I seriously considered just having him splash around in the shallows, but instead I put him on a ship all by himself.  He largely just got distracted and wandered off.  There's a nurgling on the ship just so that someone there knows how to steer the thing.


Lord Cueyatl summoned a Purple Sun that hovered around looking menacing, but overall didn't accomplish that much.  In this scenario we were trying to collect soul crystals, which are the output of a diabolical soul stealing engine that the Idoneth have built from the wreckage of Nagash's soul trap.


We had some billowing clouds of magical smoke as sea-bound terrain.


Things we've learned from the test battles were that warships are actually more powerful than I initially suspected.  In AoS 2.0, they gave garrisoning units a -1 to being hit by all attacks, so while I was anticipating the save bonus from cover, I wasn't thinking about that.  I was a little concerned about it at first, but after playing with it (even though I was running Putrid Blight Kings) I felt like it was a decent trade-off versus the mobility of flying or otherwise aquatic units.

I also was asked the question of how buffs and abilities should apply to ships, which is where the "Ship of the Fleet" rule came from.  Specifically, my Seraphon opponent wanted to know how teleporting a ship would work.  I definitely wanted things like that to work, like movement buffs, giving a unit the ability to fly or re-roll charges, and so forth.  So I decided that a warship is a friendly unit with all of the keywords shared by all its occupants.


Nobody has selected Brutal yet for their flagship.  I've generally used Commanding, and my opponents have used Mysterious.  However, I did decide to change Brutal because it didn't feel like it fit with the other two.  So I changed it from a buff to impact hits.

No comments:

Post a Comment